Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dear Dude in the Red Van,

I'm going to find you. Probably on a Saturday night after a bourbon or two. [Just kidding Mom]...but seriously.

Can you tell I almost died today? So I get started on my run, my usual path, my usual attire. I'm roughly .75 mile into my run when my life flashes before my eyes in the form of a red minivan. I've provided a rough sketch of the crime scene to assist in this dramatization...


After the fact, I saw hand come up in the rear view mirror as I'm in full COME AT ME BRO mode. I briefly considered following him, but he had a V6 vs. my 10:00/mile. Whatev, it appears he lives in the neighborhood, which means I'll find him eventually.

Ok so today is about training. I've run, I think, six times in the last two weeks [as well as one bike ride, which still hurts to this day]. My first run following the green light from the surgeon was a slow jog/walk around a familiar path. It is a 2.6 mile loop that I completed in 38 MINUTES. 38. Quite the obvious and humbling jab for someone who at one time could turn in a sub 22 5K. In my defense, it is South Carolina in July and running a cool 106 on the heat index meter. BUT...there's good news...as of this evening, I've bumped that 2.6 miles to a full 5k and trimmed my time down to 28:25. AND it's still a stifling 95 when I run in the evening. I'm feeling ok at this point, but there is one thing troubling me. Feel free to weigh in my tremendously in shape followers [Jer & Tim...one day Dad to be of Demontez Schwantes]. My problem on the runs right now is not cardio...I don't think. My breathing is pretty regular when I finish, and I'm not totally spent. Rather, my legs are in tremendous pain. Some days its IT band stuff that I've known for years, but other days they feel like I'm running with a vise grip on each thigh.

Tonight was likely my last run of the week. Thursday evening I leave for Birmingham via Atlanta for a 72 hole golf outing. I feel certain Friday and Saturday will set me back a few days, as Alabama heat + golf + Coors Light over a sustained period of time is bound to cause trouble.

2 comments:

  1. yoga. seriously. add in some serious stretching/yoga practice to your running routine. it'll help with the fact that your muscles don't want to do yet what they once could. they'll remember soon enough, but until then streeeeeetch'em out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta agree, stretching before and after will get those Clydesdale legs going again. If you can do 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after a run (a full 5 will seem like a long time, but worth it) that should help. It might be tough for the first couple weeks, but you'll feel comfortable in the saddle after that. Also, there's a tri in Kings Mtn, in late May before Memorial Day next year. It'll be good training before your Memorial Day ride. I'm in if you are! ~ Demontez dad (Tim)

    ReplyDelete