Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Beginning?

Hi. Hello there. So this is how it feels? I always enjoyed blogs, but never imagined I'd start one. Guess we're all suckers for something. I don't really know how to start...so here we go.

Ok, first off, I think I have ADD. So if my posts are scattered and unorganized, there's a reason [in my head]. I also hate losing a thought and will change the subject promptly to keep that from happening. Even further, I'm terrible at writing. In high school, I scored a 2 on the AP English exam while receiving a 5 on the Math. Go figure. I'm also currently raging to Butch Walker, so the typos are on him.

So. The Beginning. Started running in college to counteract the other things I was doing. I actually managed to lose weight freshman year and thought I was in good shape. Fast forward to senior year...I fracture the tibia in my right leg and am sidelined from life from October to March. Except for partying of course. Fast forward some more, because this blog isn't about what happened in college. I graduate and move to Atlanta....

Here are the figures. I'm a fresh 21, 5'11" and 195 lbs due to my lack of activity...thanks Nate. Hopefully Nate will make an appearance in the comments section as he is ultimately the catalyst for this blog. My previously mentioned tibia was fractured by my good friend, Nathan Frey, during a pick up game of football. Moving on...my office in Atlanta had a nice gym which allowed me to develop the following schedule at least 3 times a week:

Lunch: StairMaster [laugh all you want Gents, it works]
Evening: Usually either ran, lifted weights, or both

This is where the dream began. I had friends getting into Triathlons and I was immediately tempted. I wanted to buy a bike, I had to buy a bike. But then I went shopping for something else. Now's a good time to introduce Laura to the saga. Laura's now my wife, my better half as they say. I must say she plays as much a role as Nate in being a catalyst for this blog. Not only did I scrap the idea of a bike [and possibly a new truck] for an engagement ring, but she also convinced me to have surgery. Surgery...let's go there...

I won't get into details, but Laura forcefully recommended that I go to a doctor about something. Turns out a had to have surgery to my lower back. No worries, right? This was in January of 2009. Let's fast forward to April 2010. Laura pays it [the fact that I chose her over a road bike] forward. She bought me the bike I had always wanted...







Best day of my life outside of 6/20/2009. I promise.

Fast forward to July 2010. Surgery #2 [the first one didn't work]. Same surgery, same doctor. I would later learn he sucks. My new obsession with the bike is put on the shelf. The next few months were pretty uneventful, so let's push on to June 2011. I tried running a couple times in April/May but it ultimately it seemed pointless. Surgery #2 didn't work either...I guess I should've mentioned that earlier. So I have Surgery #3. New hospital, new doctor. Dude's legit. I'm out of work for 4 weeks, but the procedure is successful. Which leads us to...

Today. Here we are. I can finally count on no more surgeries, no more road blocks. Just me, the pavement, and some semblance of a dream. So going back to the figures...I'm 26 and 230 lbs now. HUGE.

That's it for The Beginning. Entourage starts soon.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, broast. Great first post - look forward to reading more and hopefully joining you for an event here and there.

    ReplyDelete