Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Turkey Day 8k Race Report

So happy I even waved
I know you've all been on pins and needles awaiting a report from the Thanksgiving Day race. Let me you, it was exciting. Victory barely escaped my grasp, and by victory, I mean I almost finished last in my age division. There also wasn't a Clydesdale division which I was very upset about. I mean come on, those of us over 2 bills just can't compete with our feather weight foes. But back to the recap. Nice day, good weather, no wind, about 52 degrees. Everything started out well, Victoria and I running stride for stride trying to pace each other. At some point around mile 1.5, she stopped for a drink and I pushed on. This would turn out to be pivotal later in the race. Shortly after mile 1.5, I was passed by my first stroller division runner. They allegedly started 10 minutes after us, but I'm really hoping that's not true.

Now...the course was described as moderately rolling hills, which to be frank, was a flat out lie. It was hilly. Really hilly. This is a recipe for disaster for those of us with shin problems. Sure enough, at roughly mile 3.5, the pain in my right foot/shin/calf was almost unbearable. This is where the pivotal moment occurred. Shortly before mile 4, I pulled off to walk/stretch. Thankfully, I had not stopped to drink and Victoria caught up to me to offer up some much needed encouragement. For the last mile, she paced me and offered up a perfectly timed, "you better kill it" during the final stretch. At the result? 55:02. I know that's slow, but it felt awfully nice to complete a race further than a 5k. Next up? My good friend Kelley Smith is pushing for a half marathon in Atlanta in March. 4 months to train. I'm going to try my best.

Tonight I'm embarked on my first run since the race. I also ran for the first time with compression sleeves on my legs. I've been hearing good things and considering the pain I've experienced, I am willing to try anything. I purchased these here from my local running store...the same brand used by Matt Reed. I've told they're great to wear for recovery, so I'm sporting them as we speak.

To end, I'm jacked about this weekend. Actually resting and not going out of town. I finally get to watch Clemson from the comfort of my couch. Although, they're not much to look at these days. Hopefully we can get it turned around, but I'm not confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment